About Me

My photo
I'm Canada's favourite lightning spirit!

Thursday 2 August 2012

Surely I'm not the only one?

The general opinion has been like this since day one, and no matter what the devs say in order to placate the fanbase, people keep finding more reasons to hate the upcoming reboot of Devil May Cry.

Devil May Cry holds a special place in my heart not for it's infamous difficulty but because of it's setting and the characters that inhabit it. When I heard that a new game was on the way, I was excited. And then when the Tokyo Game Show rolled around showcasing little reboot Dante's new design, I understood the changes made by Ninja Theory, the developers taking over the project.

What people don't seem to understand is that reboots are supposed to be different, not just more things that we expect and love. While the writing has taken a more vulgar direction, and that the unique weapons that will be employed in this game require a different mindset before taking them to battle, the over the top action of DMC is still going to be there. It just looks different, and the changed core gameplay promises to be a fresh new experience for veterans and newcomers alike. Surely that's reason enough to justify the black hair and cigarettes?

Perhaps the only gripes that I have about this reboot is that I find the writing to be extremely vulgar (f-bombs and s-bombs galore in E3 2012's gameplay trailer). Part of what I enjoyed so much in Devil May Cry was that the language Dante used was relatively clean, while his mannerism and tone still had enough bite to anger any demon he enountered. Unfortunately, that seems to be the direction that Ninja Theory is aiming for. Hopefully, it won't take away from my enjoyment.

When I saw the gameplay trailer, I was amazed by what I saw. The overtop combat that the series is known for is making a return, this time in true HD. Let's hope that it'll be polished enough so that I can dive into this game on launch!  

No comments:

Post a Comment