About Me

My photo
I'm Canada's favourite lightning spirit!

Thursday 21 June 2012

Metal Gear Solid 5 (!)

I'm not sure what to think of the recent announcement of MGS5.

On one hand, if anyone can make a sequel to a grand finale work exceptionally, it's Hideo Kojima. On the other hand, I feel like making another Metal Gear Solid game is unnecessary, especially after the epic send off that was MGS4.
Back in 2008, Kojima did the seemingly impossible by successfully tying up all the loose ends of the entire MGS franchise in the final hours of Guns of the Patriots. The Patriots were defeated, old feuds were settled, and cryptic secrets were finally revealed. Why should we reopen the wounds that took a painfully long time to heal?
The reason I was so excited for Metal Gear Rising was because I was glad to see the franchise breathe some fresh air rather than continue to milk something that worked until it gets old. Now, I'm not saying that MGS5 will simply just be a "milking" title, but I just felt that stepping into completely new territory in the form of Rising was the step in the right direction for the series.
According to a recent article on Gamespot, the developers are considering adding story trees, meaning there will be dialogue options in the upcoming Metal Gear Solid game. Personally, I'm a little skeptical about this addition. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE role playing games, especially whenever they involve branching storylines and dialogue options. It's just that Metal Gear has always been more like a film to me (an excellent one, mind you!) and I sort of see that as a MGS staple.

Since the game isn't out yet, no one can really say for sure if this  game will be terrible or the next big thing. All we can do is just wait for it's eventual release, and give the game a fair chance for when it comes out. You know, like any game.

No comments:

Post a Comment