About Me

My photo
I'm Canada's favourite lightning spirit!

Saturday 30 June 2012

The Road to Ruin: My experiences as a Videographer pt1

I love making movies. Whether it's making the cheesiest horror film possible for a school project, or just combining a soundtrack to a gameplay video that I recorded, I'm always eager for a new opportunity to see what I can do with whatever I've been assigned.

My earliest experiences started off when I was about 13 years old, playing Adventure Quest (awesome game, by the way). Spending some time in the games forums, I decided to look up some powerful techniques that could be used on Youtube. As soon as I hit the search button, I happened upon a gold mine of information that would help me step up my game. Suddenly this single player, browser based RPG had all the community of any decent MMO. These videos and these other players gave me better ideas of the uses of powerful armour and weapons, cool skill builds, and solid strategies for some of the strongest bosses at the time. I decided that I would become like these people, and so I started making some videos of me using whatever strategies and builds that I came up with.

Of course, my family's desktop wasn't exactly a powerhouse. Eventually the simple act of using an unregistered Hypercam became too much for my old computer, and eventually I decided to stop recording altogether since I was running out of ideas as well as interest. Then I got into high school and joined the media arts class. The course challenged me to use different styles of film that I've never known before, and as a result I've become more familiar with the styles while becoming more versatile myself. All throughout high school I spent my lunches in the library expanding my imagination and in the computer room editing whatever footage I had filmed while jotting down whatever shots or scenes I still had to take.

In my final year of high school, I discovered a method of recording console gameplay. Being the avid gamer and videographer that I was, I couldn't resist...

No comments:

Post a Comment