About Me

My photo
I'm Canada's favourite lightning spirit!

Sunday 29 July 2012

What am I REALLY looking forward to?

E3 was a couple of months ago, and I find myself speechless at my strange lack of feeling broke like as I usually feel after watching and reading about every press conference in previous years. Truth be told, I can't find anything to look forward to with only a few exceptions.
Why is that, then? Could it be that I'm content with everything that I have, or do I feel like gaming has become so stagnant that I feel that only a few titles are worth my attention? Or perhaps is it that I haven't heard enough info regarding any upcoming titles to get me stoked for the next big game? Maybe it's a bit of each reason, maybe it's something different entirely.

One game that I actually am looking forward to is Assassin's Creed 3. I've never been a huge fan of the franchise and it's gameplay, but the story has had me intrigued ever since I sat down to play AC2. And now that the upcoming title will take place in a completely new setting and that the story should (hopefully) be drawing to a close, I definitely will be putting some money aside for this.

The next games that I'm anticipating are constantly thrashed by their fanbases, with the sole reason being that they are "different". It's because young Dante's hair is black, and because Rising plays differently than Solid. In every scenario, change is just as likely to be detrimental as it is likely to be successful. With the Devil May Cry reboot and Metal Gear Rising in development, I'm looking forward to seeing some exciting action and bizarre atmosphere's for their games.

The next two titles represent the transformation of survival horror becoming perhaps a little too action oriented. Fans may cry that Dead Space 3 and Resident Evil 6 have completely abandoned their horror roots, but they do so at the risk of being unable to appreciate the excitement of encountering some awesome monster designs and a story grounded in a battle between rogue agents and corporations. And really, sometimes that's all I need to enjoy a game, and I know I'm gonna play the hell out of each of them because I loved the previous installments of their respective series.

And finally, the upcoming downloadable content for Dark Souls. Really, so long as I have more excuses to play 2011's rpg epic, I'm sold. With new areas, bosses, and equipment, I'm looking forward to dying over and over again in the face of the game's new challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment